NSAI Technical Committee "Universal Design Standards Consultative Committee " will commence work in developing a "Technical Standard" on "Universal Design (UD) Dwellings: Requirements and Recommendations" in May 2023.
TITLE of the Standard : “Universal Design (Ud) Dwellings : Requirements And Recommendations"
SCOPE of the standard:
- will specify requirements and recommendations for new dwellings.
- will specify requirements and recommendations for the design of accessible, usable, flexible and adaptable Universal Design Dwellings, ranging from apartments to individual houses. It includes external access routes to dwellings, parking, communal areas, entrances and circulation areas within dwellings, key rooms and facilities within dwellings and private open spaces.
- will specify requirements and recommendations for new dwellings through a Universal Design approach – dwellings that can be accessed, understood, and used by all people to the greatest extent possible, regardless of their age, size, ability or disability.
- will provide requirements and recommendations for two categories of Universal Design dwellings.
- can be used for assessing the design of existing dwellings and to inform retrofit and refurbishments.
- - can be used for purpose-designed dwellings or residential facilities for older or disabled people but does not include requirements for assistance, health and social care facilities that may be required in these settings.
An Information session/webinar was held on the 17th of April 2023 to provide information on this new standard including timelines and how to participate in the development of the standard.
You can view a recording of the webinar below.
The slides that were presented during the webinar in word format are available here.
The NSAI would like to invite interested parties to participate in this work including; Disabled Persons Organisations, architects, engineers, designers, consultants, planners, local authorities, housing providers, builders, policy makers, researchers, disabled persons and older persons.
NSAI/TC23/SC1/WG6 “ UD Dwellings Committee “ will commence work on this new standard shortly.
Ruth O’Reilly (CEUD at the NDA) is the Chair of the Working Group ( WG) and will be supported by Elizabeth O’Ferrall , Project leader (NSAI).
The 1st meeting will take place on the 2nd of May via Zoom .
If you would like to participate in this work (NSAI/TC23/SC1/WG6) , you can register your interest on the NSAI Standard Committee platform here.
Contact the Project Manager ,Elizabeth O'Ferrall at Elizabeth.email@example.com for further information.