Before a product can be certified, it must first undergo a process of inspection and testing to ensure it meets:
- Minimum quality assurance standards
- Any relevant legal requirements.
The stringency of the inspection and testing procedure varies depending on the nature of the product and its intended use. Components used in aerospace, for example, must undergo rigorous safety testing before being certified fit for purpose.
The certification process is conducted by authorities appointed by national governments. In the Republic of Ireland, NSAI is the main body responsible for product certification.
- Request a quotation
Our product certification services can be divided into two broad categories:
- CE Marking, which is now a legal requirement for many products sold in the European Union
- Irish Standard Mark (ISM) a system of quality control supervised by NSAI.
Specific Certification Schemes
In addition to our general certification services, NSAI operates individual certification schemes for specific product and service groups. These include:
- Security Systems – based on I.S. EN 50131-1, which covers alarm and intrusion systems and I.S. EN 62676-1 which covers CCTV/VSS Systems
- Staffed Security – based on I.S.999:2004, which is now a compulsory requirement for companies supplying security guards
- Food Hygiene and Safety – Based the ISO 22002-series currently including Farming (ISO/TS 22002-3:2011), Food Manufacturing (ISO/TS 22002-1:2009), Packaging (PAS 223*; ISO/AWI TS 22002-7), Transport and Storage (ISO/AWI TS 22002-6) and Catering (I.S. 340*; ISO/DTS 22002-2) sectors. * Denotes examples of other relevant standards devised by independent bodies;
- Electrical Products – with plugs, sockets and leads in Ireland different from the rest of Europe, NSAI has developed additional standards for electrical products
- Timber Certification – NSAI supports the timber industry through a range of timber certification and inspection schemes
- Ready Mix Concrete – based on I.S. EN 206-1, which obliges producers to conform to a range of requirements designed to improve quality and consistency.
To get more information about product certification with NSAI, fill in our online enquiry form
TC Rev. 1.0