ISO 50001:2011 was published on 15th June 2011. This standard replaces I.S. EN 16001:2009 which expires on 26th April 2012. Applications for I.S. EN 16001:2009 will only be accepted if Certification is intended to be completed in 2011.
All I.S. EN 16001:2009 certified organisations will require an assessment to up-grade their certification to
ISO 50001:2011. The up-grade can take place at a surveillance or re-assessment audit (depending on the next audit in the certification cycle).
The up-grade assessment will not attract additional audit duration. The up-grade assessment will focus on the “deltas” – the areas most affected by the change in standard. Any findings from the up-grade audit will have to be addressed in a satisfactory manner (depending on the severity) before certification to ISO 50001:2011.
The ISO 50001:2011 standard does not contain any major changes from I.S. EN 16001:2009 and, in some clauses, the text is more or less identical.
It is recommended that all organisations will have carried out an internal audit / gap assessment against the new requirements (and addressed any findings) prior to the NSAI’s on site up-grade audit.
Options for certification up-grades
Already registered to I.S. EN 16001:2009?
- All surveillance and re-assessment audits due in 2012 will be conducted against the requirements of ISO 50001:2011. It is planned that all Energy Management Certifications will be upgraded to ISO 50001:2011 by 31st December 2012.
Applying for ISO 50001:2011
- Companies can apply at any time for certification to ISO 50001:2011 and schedule the Stage 1 and Stage 2 registration audits to suit your system’s readiness.
Will there be additional cost?
- There is no additional cost for upgrade to ISO 50001:2011.
Our current certificate is valid beyond 26th April 2012 – does this mean that we still have to up-grade before 26th April 2012?
- No. Due to the short transition time for the introduction of ISO 50001:2011, all current certificates will remain valid until 31st December 2012. Where a Certificate expires after 31st December 2012, the organization will be required to upgrade to ISO 50001:2011 by 31st December 2012.
- All I.S. EN 16001:2009 certifications will be removed from NSAI’s published register after 31st December 2012.
Download NSAI Transition Policy for ISO 50001:2011 [pdf]
For further details contact NSAI Certification