The NSAI are inviting experts and stakeholders to participate in the revision of ISO 21542:2011. This standard specifies a range of requirements and recommendations for many of the elements of construction, assemblies, components and fittings which comprise the built environment.
In parallel with international meetings a number of national meetings will be held at the NSAI offices in Santry, Dublin 9. These meetings will be arranged with all those who have registered their interest.
- Register your interest by Friday 27th January 2017 to Get Involved
Scope of ISO 21542:2011
ISO 21542:2011 specifies a range of requirements and recommendations for many of the elements of construction, assemblies, components and fittings which comprise the built environment. These requirements relate to the constructional aspects of access to buildings, to circulation within buildings, to egress from buildings in the normal course of events and evacuation in the event of an emergency. It also deals with aspects of accessibility management in buildings.
ISO 21542:2011 contains provisions with respect to features in the external environment directly concerned with access to a building or group of buildings from the edge of the relevant site boundary or between such groups of buildings within a common site. It does not deal with those elements of the external environment, such as public open spaces, whose function is self-contained and unrelated to the use of one specific building, nor does it deal with single family dwellings, other than those circulation spaces and fittings that are common to two or more such dwellings.
Areas for revision
The following areas have been identified by the Technical Standards Committee for revision;
- Terminology: ICF terminology/Guide 71/UNCRPD.
- References: Updating of references.
- Exceptional considerations (developing countries and existing buildings) – possibly as an annex.
- Fire safety for all.
- Visual impairments (LRV, TWSI).
- Hearing impairments.
- Index: Improvement on the index (analytical index).
- General: Improvement of the introduction or general design considerations (explanation on the concept of accessibility, use of figures, etc.).
- Editorial: Misprints and errors
Standards Committee References
- International Standards Committee: ISO/TC 059/SC 16/WG 01 "Accessibility and usability of the built environment"
- National Standards Committee: NSAI/TC 023/SC 01/WG 03 "Built Environment - Revision of ISO 21542"
Should you require further information on ISO 21542 contact Elizabeth.OFerrall@nsai.ie