Driving Improved Energy Performance
ISO 50001:2011 (Energy Management Systems), which replaced I.S. EN 16001:2009, was published in June 2011.
This standard is compatible with other management system standards particularly the widely used ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management Standard and ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management Systems standard. It has international recognition and is now considered the benchmark standard worldwide for Energy Management.
NSAI is accredited by the Irish National Accreditation Board (INAB) to provide certification to ISO 50001:2011
Guidance documents to download
ISO 50001:2011 requires organisations to:
- Continually improve energy performance, including energy efficiency, energy use and consumption;
- Define their energy policy and document an energy planning process;
- Review energy use, consumption and efficiency at defined intervals;
- Document the methodology and criteria used to develop the Energy Review considering facilities, equipment, systems or processes;
- Establish an energy baseline and identify EnPIs (Energy Performance Indicators) appropriate for monitoring and measuring it’s energy performance;
- Establish, implement and maintain documented Energy Objectives and Targets.
An effective energy management system based on ISO 50001:2011 provides an organisation's top management with a roadmap which allows them to:
- Minimise energy usage.
- More effectively meet legislative and regulatory requirements and therefore be viewed more favourably by regulators.
- Provide an opportunity to systematically plan, control and monitor operational activities and processes that may impact on energy usage.
- Incorporate energy efficiency in the planning of all new investments.
Third party registration of energy management systems (EnMS) provides confidence that energy issues are being managed in accordance with internationally recognised standards and procedures.
NSAI's EnMS auditors are highly competent, qualified professionals with many years industrial experience combined with energy and auditing qualifications.
The Benefits of Registration
- Promote continual improvement
- Identify opportunities for improvement
- Challenge the system in light of changing expectations
- Satisfy the expectations of most stakeholders
- Ensure greater level of control
- Enhance image
- Demonstrate transparency and commitment
- Provide independent verification to interested parties
Download a copy of the NSAI detailed guide on ISO 50001
Open a copy of the ISO 50001 request for quotation form
For further information on certification to ISO 50001 contact NSAI Certification