Product Certification for Air Tightness Testing
Under revised building regulations which came into force in January 2008, air tightness testing is mandatory for all dwellings.
NSAI operates a registration scheme that certifies testers to I.S. EN 13829:2000 - Thermal Performance of Buildings – Determination of Air Permeability of Domestic Buildings – Fan Pressurization Method.
What does the scheme involve?
Under the scheme, NSAI inspectors assess the operations and procedures of air tightness testers by witnessing a series of tests being carried out against the requirements of I.S.EN 13829.
Inspectors also visit the applicant company’s office to check that:
- Appropriate records are kept
- Test equipment is adequately maintained.
When our inspectors are satisfied that the tester is in compliance with the scheme requirements, the applicant company receives an NSAI Certificate of Registration.
What are the benefits?
For air tightness testers, the benefits of I.S.EN 13829 registration are far-reaching. The scheme:
- Helps developers and householders demonstrate compliance with the higher levels of energy conservation required under the Building Regulations 2007 Part L Technical Guidance Document
- Entitles the air testing company to use its NSAI registration number in business transactions
- Lists the company on the NSAI-maintained Directory of Registered Air Tightness Testers
- Provides independent reassurance to customers of the reliability of the air testing company.
The registration process is straightforward and involves the following steps:
- The company submits its application.
- NSAI contacts the company to arrange an audit date.
- Following the audit, NSAI issues a report to the company and agrees what further steps are required to achieve compliance.
- After making the required adjustments, the company is registered.
- The company can now use its official NSAI registration number on air test reports and Building Energy Rating (BER) Certificates for Domestic Buildings.
- To maintain registration, the company will undergo regular surveillance audits.
For further information or an application form for on this scheme please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
To purchase I.S. EN 13829:2000, contact:
NSAI Standards Sales
T: +353 1 857 6730/31
F: +353 1 857 6729
Standards can also be purchased online
Orders by post should be made payable to ILI (NSAI sales partner) and addressed to:
NSAI Standards Postal Sales,
42/44 Northumberland Road,
Dublin 4, Ireland
RH Rev. 1.0